Quick Summary: When shopping for a PVC pipe cutter, there are certain characteristics that the buyer should search for such as performance, cost, safety, durability, and more. With these factors in mind, we chose the Ridgid RC-1625 Ratcheting Pipe and Tube Cutter as the best PVC pipe cutter. It has an ergonomic handle, durable materials, and an easy to change the blade.
The best PVC pipe cutters come in a wide range of models with many different characteristics. There are certain key features to look for when looking at PVC pipe cutters. One is the quality: the best PVC pipe cutters have strong blades that offer you a straight and even cut.
The blade should also be flexible as well as durable, made from tough materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, manganese steel or other rust-resistant materials. You may also need the more versatile pipe cutters that are able to cut various dimensions of PVC pipes.
Some PVC pipe cutters offer an ergonomic design that is one of the best ways to make sure your tool is easy to use and comfortable to hold. Weight may also be a concern – the more lightweight pipe cutters are easier to carry and use. And then there’s budget – you want the best cutters at the best price.
But how do you know which cutters do the job that you need? How do you decide which one is the best for you?
Read on for our extensive review of the best PVC pipe cutters that can get the job done while offering you a range of choice of different types of PVC cutters.
Reviews of 10 Top PVC Pipe Cutters
To find the best PVC pipe cutters, we searched through lots of ratings and reviews of different available options.
Though we started with a long list, we have been able to get that list down to the five following PVC pipe cutters due to their performance, cost, and versatility.
1. RIDGID Ratcheting Plastic Pipe And Tubing Cutter
What You Will Love: This tool has versatile cutting options and an easily replaceable blade.
The Ridgid RC-1625 Ratcheting Pipe and Tube cutting tool’s is made from aluminum for durability.
It has an ergonomic handle to prevent fatigue and damage to the wrist, and it is designed to offer a square cut through PVC, CPVC, PP, PEX, PE, rubber hose, and more.
You can easily exchange the XCEL blade when it is necessary. It offers superior quality for the price. RIDGID Plastic Pipe Cutter is a great plumbing tool but it is also handy as a landscaping tool, and more.
The only complaint I could find is that while it is claimed to cut up to 1 5/8 inch diameter, it actually only cuts up to 1 ¼ inches.
- Versatile cutting capabilities
- Made from durable aluminum
- Ergonomic handle
- Easily replaceable blade
- Great quality for the price
- Square cut
- Only cuts up to 1 ¼ inches
2. Tekton 6466 PVC Pipe Cutter
What You Will Love: It is both lightweight and very low cost.
The Tekton 6466 PVC Pipe Cutter comes equipped with a tough and sharp blade that provides square cuts with no burrs.
It has the strength to cut through PVC, CPVC, PEX, rubber hose, polyethylene, polybutylene, and other non-metallic tubing.
The blade is easily replaceable when it dulls, and it is a very good price.
Additionally, all Tekton products come with a guarantee, so if you have any issues, you can reach out to the company with the expectation of getting a solution.
Users seem to have trouble cutting larger pipes. It states that it can cut up to a 1 5/8 inch pipe. However, users found that to do this, you have to put a lot of pressure and force into it.
Also, you may have to heat the pipe up by leaving it in the sun for a bit or rotate the pipe as you go. They do state that once you can get it through, it cuts very smoothly.
They conclude by saying that you can cut a 1 ¼ inch pipe with force, Tekton Pipe Cutter works much better on smaller ones.
- Equipped with tough steel blade
- Excellent cost
- Easy to replace blade
- Guaranteed product
- Can cut through
- A variety of pipes
- Larger pipes require a great deal of force and possibly rotation of the pipe to cut through
Best 2-inch PVC Pipe Cutter
3. Ratchet Superior Tool 10 Inc. PVC Pipe Cutter
What You Will Love: This PVC pipe hand cutter has a ratcheting grip for improved leverage and is set at a good price.
The Superior Tool Pipe Cutter has a strong blade that can be easily replaced by taking off one screw.
There is a locking handle pin and good leveraged handles as safety features and has a lifetime warranty.
The tool is made from cast aluminum, gives clean burr-less cuts, and is budget friendly.
Opinions are pretty mixed about this option. Many say that it is a good tool for home projects or for people who only need pipe cutters for a couple of projects, but not really good for professional or constant use.
The Ratchet Superior Tool claims to have the ability to cut from 1/8″ all the way to 2 ½” pipes. Though some have successfully been able to slice a 2” pipe, most users have better success with pipes no larger than 1 ½”.
Those who have tried to use the tool on a consistent basis have reported that the blade will chip after a few cuts and that it may begin to slant, causing cuts not to be straight.
- Easy to replace the blade
- Ratcheting grip
- Good price
- Locking handle pin
- Cast aluminum
- Burr-less cuts
- May not stand up against professional or constant use
Best Ratcheting PVC Pipe Cutter
4. Mint Craft Pro PE-42-S3L Pipe Cutter
What You Will Love: The blades of this pipe cutter do not have to be changed as often as many other pipe cutters in the same price range.
The Mint Craft Pro pipe cutter provides straight, clean cuts on pipes up to 1 5/8″. The blades tend to stand up against consistent usage without the need to replace them too often.
The ratcheting grip provides a better leverage on the pipe you are trying to cut. The Mint Craft Pro price is pretty reasonable for all that it provides, but you can usually expect to pay over $30 for it. The only downside is that some people have trouble cutting through larger pipes.
- Blades are strong and do not have to be changed often
- Ratcheting and leveraged grip
- Fair price for its abilities
- Cuts straight and clean on pipes up to 1 5/8″
- May be difficult to cut through pipes close to 1 5/8″
Best Heavy Duty PVC Pipe Cutter
5. Superior Tool Company 37115 Pipe Cutter
What You Will Love: This heavy duty pipe cutter can cut through pipes as large as 2 inches.
The Superior Tool Company 37115 PVC Pipe hand cutter has an extra large capacity that can cut up to 2: PVC and polyethylene pipes.
It has a wide hooked jaw and ratchet that both help this cutter provide safe and clean cuts.
It cuts through pipes very effectively and efficiently. There are two complaints stating that: 1) it is a large and heavy tool, and 2) the directions were not easy to understand.
Other than those problems, buyers seem to love this pipe cutter. Superior Tool generally costs less than $30, so it is a good tool for the money.
- Straight, safe and clean cuts on up to 2″ pipes
- Heavy duty
- Large capacity
- Wide hooked jaw
- Good leverage
- Great price
- Large and heavy
- Hard to understand instructions
Best for Cutting Small PVC Pipes
6. PVC Know Easy Pipe Cutter And Tube Cutter
What You Will Love: You’ll love that this PVC cutter allows you to achieve a nice clean cut without spending a lot of energy. The pawl of the cutter helps for soft and flexible PVC pipe cutting by avoiding blade bounce-back.
This is an essential cutting tool for your home handy man, as well as plumbers, electricians, and vehicle mechanics. The cutting thickness is less than 1-5/8 inches or 42mm outer diameter.
The KnowEasy Pipe Cutter blade is high quality, with maximum hardness, and built to last.
The auto-locking function while cutting protects you from possible accidents should the blade bounce back.
The ratcheting mechanism allows you to use this pipe cutting tool for long periods while conserving your strength.
- Cuts most types of plastic: PVC, CPVC, PP, PEX, PE, rubber hose and multi-layer tubing
- Spring loaded design with professional-grade spring design, and high-leverage ratchet action cuts smoothly
- This PVC cutter can be used with one hand
- 12-month warranty
- Some users say that it can be hard to cut the pipe perfectly flat due to its design and that repeating the cutting process can be necessary
Best Ratchet Design PVC Pipe Cutter
7. AIRAJ Pro PVC Pipe Cutter And Ratchet Hose Cutter
What You Will Love: You’ll love the versatility of this ratcheting PVC pipe cutter which can cut 1 1/4 inch PEX, PPR, PVC, aluminum-plastic pipes, making it suitable for household DIY and maintenance.
This AIRAJ cutting knife is very suitable for all kinds of plastic pipes. It is an indispensable cutting tool for work around the home, be it decorating, plumbing, electrics or car maintenance.
The handle is designed for maximum comfort while in use. AIRAJ Pro Pipe Cutter is covered with plastic that is non-slip and wear-resistant.
Simple to use
Just put the pipe to be cut into the corresponding knife-edge and continuously clamp and tighten the handle to cut the pipe easily.
The blade is made of high-quality manganese steel and has high hardness and strength.
- This professional cutter uses a self-locking ratchet design which enhances its bite force without you having to expend a lot of extra effort
- The self-lock mechanism prevents the cutter from springing back, while cutting the pipe faster and with maximum safety
- Users say that this tool will only cut up to 1.5/8 pipe
- Some users say the ratchet mechanism is flimsy and goes sideways when you open it up
Best Instant Release Mechanism
8. Rothenberger Plastic Pipe Cutter Shear 1.5/8″
What You Will Love: You’ll love that this tool can cut a wide variety of types of plastic pipes easily and cleanly.
The bottom of the cutter’s jaw isn’t rounded, offering a “corner” in which to rest a pipe, making it much more likely that the pipe will not try to twist and turn while you’re cutting it. This makes it easier to make straight cuts.
Releases pipe instantly
The instant release mechanism makes this the best PVC pipe cutter to cut just about every kind of plastic without deforming or crushing the wall of the pipe.
Works on multi-layer pipes
Rothenberger tool can perform PVC pipe cutting on all multi-layer pipes, making it ideal for professional as well as home use.
Replacement blades available
Replacement blades are available, so no need to worry about blades dulling or breaking with long use.
- The plastic pipe shears precisely cuts tubes made of PVC, PP, PE, PEX, PB and PVDF up to 1-5/8″ OD, and Schedule 40 PVC pipe up to 1-1/4″ OD
- Replacement stainless steel blades are available for long use
- Unique V-edge blade reduces the cutting force and cuts the pipes with pinpoint precision without deforming the pipe
- Some users say the replacement blades can be expensive
Best for Making Rectangular Cut
9. KNIPEX Tools PVC Pipe Cutter With Multi Component
What You Will Love: You’ll love the multi-component aspect of this tool which can cut thick-walled plastic as well as composite pipes of 26 to 40 mm in diameter.
Made in Germany, this tool is perfect for those DIY jobs around the home such as home decoration, plumbing repairs and more.
This KNIPEXluses the ratchet principle to cut pipes in several strokes.
Movable pipe support
The movable pipe support allows you to position pipes of varying diameters in the correct way to enable a clean and rectangular cut.
The blades can be easily exchanged, so you can use your tool for a long time without difficulties having to insert new blades.
- Made of high-strength, special-grade steel which has been oil-hardened and tempered for maximum durability and reliability
- The blade stays sharp and is easy to sharpen when needed
- Some users say that the nob you use to open blade is a screw nob which can fall out without constant adjusting
- Some users say it is challenging to use this tool in a tight area
Best for Single Stroke Cutting
10. RIDGID Single Stroke Plastic Pipe And Tubing Cutter
What You Will Love: You’ll love this handy PVC pipe cutter that has a 1/8-inch to 1-5/8-inch (3 mm to 42 mm) outer diameter capacity.
The scissor-style RIDGID 23488 cutter is an easy-to-use tool that’s ideal for cutting plastic tubing and pipe and is designed for quick and easy use.
The spring-loaded handles allow for faster positioning and for you to cut easily in one stroke.
The reversible blade provides twice the amount of blade life.
RIDGID Single Cutter comes with a lifetime warranty against defects in material or workmanship for the life of the tool.
- Cuts various types of plastic: PVC, CPVC, PP, PEX, and PE
- Comes with an X-cel blade which is quick to change as well as the reversible blade
- With this cutter there is no ratcheting or twisting required
- Won’t leave little shards of PVC in the pipe
- Not suitable for cutting multilayer tubing
- Some users say it doesn’t work well for the white under the sink drain plumbing
- Some users find the little wire loop at the end is annoying to have in your way when you cut
Final Verdict: Best PVC Pipe Cutters
Whether you are a professional plumber or just have a few projects around the house, you will likely find yourself in need of pipe cutters at some point.
Though they tend to look alike, different brands provide different features and performance. Some are made only to cut small pipes while others can cut through pipes up to 2″ . Some options require frequent blade changes while others do not require them as often.
If you are in need of a good PVC pipe hand cutter, all of the options here on our best PVC pipe cutter list are worth considering. Check these pipe cutters out for yourself today.
More Related Articles: