Quick Summary: If you are shopping for an upholstery staple gun, there are some factors worth considering: the cost, how it is powered, its durability, and more. With our list of factors, we chose the Porter-Cable US58 Upholstery Stapler as our top pick based on its ease of operation, durability, and the nose extension for working in tight spaces.
There are many factors worth considering when looking at upholstery staple guns. Accuracy and control are particularly important, particularly for industrial use.
You also need to decide whether you want electric staple guns that you plug into the wall, or if you prefer air-powered staple guns that require an air compressor.
If you need the staple gun for a small number of projects, you may not need an air compressor. If, however, you will be using the stapler often, it may be worth investing in one.
On the other hand, you may actually want to go for manual staple guns that you can power yourself if you just need it for some amateur fabric work.
It is also important to measure the material that you’ll be using so that you can determine the gauge (thickness), the crown (width), and the leg (length) of the staples that you’ll need for your project. You can then select the staple gun accordingly.
But how do you know which is the best staple gun? Are they as good as they say they are? Read on for our comprehensive review of the best upholstery staple guns so that you can make an informed choice.
Reviews of Top 10 Upholstery Staple Guns
To find the top upholstery gun, we looked closely at ratings and reviews of multiple brands and models.
After careful consideration, we chose the following 10 upholstery guns based on the price, durability, and nose size.
What You Will Love: It is small and lightweight making it easy to operate.
Though it is small and lightweight, it is made with a steel top cap to make it durable. There is a 1 inch extension so that you can still work in hard to reach places.
This upholstery staple gun is air-powered so it requires an air compressor. It has a high capacity bottom load magazine that has space for up to 185 staples.
Porter cable US58 stapler comes with a one year limited warranty. It seems to perform as well as it claims because, according to buyers, it got through their jobs with ease, no mistakes, and no jams. I believe that this is the best stapler for upholstery work.
The only downsides I can find are the price and the fact that you need an air compressor. At over $100, it is a bit steep and will likely not fit into everyone’s budget.
As far as the air compressor goes, not everyone has one available so they will either have to purchase one or find a different upholstery gun.
- Small and lightweight yet durable
- 1 inch extension for hard to reach places
- Can hold up to 185 staples at a time
- Performs very well
- Needs an air pump to operate
What You Will Love: This upholstery stapler comes with 15,000 staples, a case to keep it in, an allen wrench and oil for the tool.
The Surebonder Pneumatic Upholstery staple gun comes with a comfortable rubber grip and a safety lock to prevent accidents. The staple magazine can hold up to 100 staples at a time.
Though this Surebonder upholstery staple gun also requires an air compressor, the price of the stapler is much less- it is usually under $40- so the investment is lower.
Buyers state that it is easy to use and performs well. According to reviews, the nose might not be long enough for all DIY upholstery projects.
- Comfortable rubber grip
- Includes accessories such as staples and a storage case
- Safety mechanism
- Great price
- Performs well
- Air powered
- Nose may be too short for some upholstery projects
Best Lightweight Upholstery Staple Gun
3. Freeman PFWS Professional Fine Wire Stapler – 20 Gauge Ergonomic & Lightweight Pneumatic Nail Gun
What You Will Love: This is a tough and dependable upholstery staple gun that comes at a great price.
The Freeman Professional Fine Wire Stapler is a lightweight professional or home tool that is great for crafts and upholstery projects.
It is crafted with a durable aluminum body and an ergonomically designed secure handle.
The no-mar tip decreases scratches and other unwanted marks while you are working. The stapler magazine and cylinder are made from anodized aluminum and holds up to 100 staples.
There is a 7 year limited warranty attached to this product. Users say that it works very well and Freeman PFWS is priced under $30. It is air powered, which is a downside for some, and the nose is too short for some hard to reach places.
- Lightweight yet tough and dependable
- Durable aluminum body
- Holds up to 100 staples
- 7 year limited warranty
- Very good price
- Nose is too short for some upholstery projects
- Requires air compressor which may be a problem for some
Best Heavy Duty Upholstery Staple Gun
What You Will Love: It has an adjustable air exhaust so that you have more versatility while working on your projects.
The Surebonder 9600B Pneumatic Heavy Duty Stapler is a highly recommended stapler for upholstery and craft projects. It has a well balanced, durable body and rubber grips to comfort.
There is a safety mechanism to help prevent accidents and it is very easy to load with staples. Also, there is a window that allows you to keep an eye on how many staples you have left in the magazine instead of not knowing until you run out.
The reviews about this upholstery are impressive. It is air operated, so like the others, you will need an air compressor.
The Surebonder Stapler price runs around $40, which is more expensive than some options but still a fair price.
- Adjustable air exhaust for versatility
- Fair price
- Highly recommended
- Safety mechanism to prevent accidents
- Easy to load
- Window for easy view of staples
- Needs an air pump
- Higher price than some options
Best Industrial Upholstery Staple Gun
What You Will Love: It has a narrow nose to increase visibility during projects.
The Fasco 50 Series upholstery staple gun was designed to speed up the staple loading process. It has a bottom load design, and the magazine is easy to open with one finger.
The magazine can store 110 staples at a time so you do not have to refill as often as you do with some other options. It is lightweight and has an aluminum body.
Though there are many positive reviews, there are a few downsides. The first one is the price. As over $100, it is a bit expensive for many budgets.
The second issue is that there is a plastic safety lever that constantly has to be moved out of the way to work.
Lastly, you can only load full rows of staples. If you load smaller ones, this Fasco stapler will misfire.
- Quick and easy loading, stores 110 staples at a time
- Aluminum body
- Plastic safety lever is in the way
- Misfires if you load anything less than full rows of staples
Best Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun
What You Will Love: You’ll love this air-powered staple gun that takes 22 gauge staples. A perfect staple gun for upholstery that is easy to use. All you do is read the manual, connect the power source, and you’re ready to start working.
One of the best staple guns for upholstery, this model is a pleasure to use. A perfect all-around tool for DIY projects.
The bottom loading cartridge allows you to reload staples faster than some other models.
Even though it isn’t designed for other kinds of projects apart from DIY, this Unicatch USC71/16L model is capable of coping with them. Even if you need to do other things apart from upholstery, you’ll find it useful.
The long nose allows you to reach hard-to-reach corners and places easily.
- Reaches into tight spots with the long nose
- Jamming is rare thanks to fast-release mechanism
- Requires an air compressor delivering up to 100 psi, which is not included although quite affordable. The unit operates at around 80 psi.
- Comes with a 30-day warranty, compared to many other models which often come with a year-long warranty
Best Bottom Load Magazine Design
What You Will Love: You’ll love the comfort of using this pneumatic staple gun with its rubberized handle for an easy grip.
This upholstery staple gun uses 22 gauge type C upholstery staples and is simple to operate: just pull the trigger. No need to worry about jams, as the driver guide moves back to clear jams from the magazine.
This staple gun is built to last and has a heat-treated hardened tool-steel nail driver.
The Air locker staple gun long nose allows you to make sure you can reach into those tough and out-of-the-way places easily. Nose length is 1 5/8 inches, fastener range 1/4 to 5/8 inch.
Easy to store
This model comes with a carrying case and operating manual.
- Automatically adjusts for fastener lengths between 1/4” – 5/8”
- Bottom loading magazine for fast reloading of staples with high capacity: it handles 200 staples
- Adjustable exhaust to keep oil condensation away from work
- No safety – Free firing
- Users say you cannot buy parts separately in case a component breaks
- Some users report problems with this staple gun firing properly, although other users say by putting the staples in the opposite way from an office stapler it then works fine
Best for Quick Release
What You Will Love: You’ll love the versatility of this staple gun, which can be used in various applications around your home such as upholstery, insulation, screen repair, woodworking projects, fencing and repairs.
This air-powered staple gun drives 1/4″ crown staples 3/8″to 1″ and requires 60-100 psi operating pressure. Works for installing carpet on stairs as well as for putting up baseboards around the home.
The die-cast aluminum body means this is a heavy duty staple gun that will last a long while.
Wen narrow crown staple gun can finish projects and repairs quickly, while weighing 4.75 pounds.
The fast release feature means that you can clear jams quickly and easily and then keep working safely.
- Comes with a one-year parts and labor warranty from the manufacturer
- Users say this is the best manual staple gun for value for money and sinks the staples evenly every time, so perfect for DIY use
- 100 staple capacity, which is lower than some other comparable types of staple guns
- Doesn’t have an air adjustment mechanism so you have to adjust this on your air compressor, which is needed to operate this model and is not included
Best for Ease of Operation
What You Will Love: You’ll love this pneumatic staple gun that is ideal for upholstering, cabinet assembly, fabric applications, light wood assembly, silk screen assembly, screen door replacements, automobile interiors and more.
This pneumatic staple gun uses standard 22 ga. 3/8-inch crown staples from 1/4″ to 5/8″ in length and is versatile yet simple to use. Made of aluminum, steel and rubber.
Simple to operate
3plus crown stapler is one of the lighter manual staple guns, weighing just 2.09 pounds.
360-degree adjustable exhaust
No need to worry about debris or exhaust interfering with your work, as the exhaust can be adjusted to a full 360 degrees.
The magazine ensures that you can reload your staples quickly without losing too much time on the job.
- Comfortable grip for ease of use
- Uses standard staples that are easy to find
- Quick clear jam release to avoid accidents
- Users say it stands the test of time in upholstery shops in full use daily
- An air compressor is needed for this manual staple gun, but is not included
- No safety mechanism as such, just a steel toggle
- Will not accept a t50 heavy duty staple
Best Narrow Crown Staple Gun
What You Will Love: You’ll love this manual staple gun’s versatility which allows you to do many types of projects, both home DIY and more professional work.
This top rated manual gun drives 18 gauge narrow crown staples for your varied home improvement needs. With a lightweight magnesium design for added durability.
Tool-free trigger system
Bostitch crown staple gun comes with a tool-free, selectable trigger system that allows you to select either sequential or contact operation. A big plus for those long jobs!
This control system allows you to attain a highly precise countersinking of staples.
Low nail lockout
No need to worry about dry firing with this low nail lockout system for added safety and convenience.
- The kit includes the stapler as well as a 1/4 inch air fitting and a carrying case.
- Oil-free operation requires no regular maintenance and eliminates the risk of oil stains
- Ultra-quiet rear exhaust with muffler that directs air away from the user
- Reversible belt hook with integrated pencil sharpener
- Users say this is one of the best staple guns for reliability
- Comes with a 1-7 year limited warranty
- This model is made for 7/32″ wide staples when the most common size is 1/4
Final Verdict: Best Upholstery Staple Guns
Upholstery guns are very good professional or home tools to have with their ability to do not only crafts and upholstery but also some home improvement projects.
If you are thinking about purchasing an upholstery gun, start by reviewing the options listed here.
More Tools Related Articles: